When I decided I wanted to cosplay as Jyn, I had to decide what stage of her outfit I wanted to do. Did I want to go full-Jedha incursion with the scarf and coat? Black Imperial spy outfit? I opted for the most basic, recognizable outfit which we see through the whole movie and which she is wearing at the end. But obviously a cosplay like this is more than just the clothes. Girl’s gotta have some accessories, too!
I ordered several 3D printed kits of items for this costume. This was the first time I’ve ever worked with 3D printed stuff, and it was a learning experience to be sure! Everything’s gotta be sanded down smooth and I think I went through 6 different grits of sandpaper, starting with the roughest and working my way down to either 600 or 800 grit. Some of the items with a lot more texture I spray painted with a filler primer before I sanded them to make it a little easier.
Then came painting.
Everything got at least some if not all of it painted with enamel spray paints. Parts I didn’t want spray paint on I taped off. Details were done with model paints.
These were the two easiest kits to finish. The badge for Jyn’s vest was two pieces; the red button was a separate piece that was glued on. And the silver clip on the comm link on the right was also glued on and the two silver screws are really just for looks.
The blaster and truncheon were a bit more complicated. Actually, the truncheon wasn’t that bad, it just had more parts to glue together, but it didn’t really need any extra detail painting. The blaster, however, was a PROCESS!
I did most of the detail painting before it was glued together, then after it was glued I added a few finishing touches.
When you don’t have a clamp to hold parts together while the glue sets, you use what’s available, and in this case it was wrapping them tightly with painters tape! I glued the pieces and let them set one at a time. The two final pieces to glue were the hand grips, and man, they caused the most trouble of all the 3D printed stuff! They warped when I sprayed them with the filler primer, I’m assuming because they got moist and the sun was beating on them, which heated up the plastic. So instead of having to contact the seller I bought them from to see if I could order just those two pieces again, I did some online research to see if they were salvageable. Turns out, if you heat up 3D printed plastic in a little bit of water on the stove, it becomes pliable again so you can flex it to bend it straight. So I did that after the first time it warped. Then it warped again after I painted them black. So I needed to fix it again, and it took multiple hot water baths to get them to sit flush on the handle of the blaster.
They finally fit, but the process of reheating made the back of the pieces get a rippled effect, so I made sure to use expanding Gorilla Glue to glue them on. I didn’t use enough on one of them (I was afraid of it expanding too much and oozing out like on some earlier pegs!) so you can see a little bit of daylight when you look between the pieces. Hopefully it will hold!
In the end, though, after the finishing paint touches, it turned out pretty awesome.
And of course, what’s a blaster without a belt and holster to put it in?!
I bought the leather to make the belt and holster several months ago, and the gentleman who owns and runs the leather shop I bought it from was SO helpful in figuring out what I needed and how to make it. I was a bit nervous to actually work on it though, since the leather wasn’t cheap and I haven’t done anything like this before and I was afraid I’d screw up big time. But with his tips, the little experience I do have working with leather, and lots of reference pics, I am so happy with how it turned out!
I had a few hiccups in the process of making it, but in the end, it’s pretty much exactly how I hoped it would be!
I’m still waiting for the buckles for Jyn’s boots to show up. I got notice that they finally shipped end of last week, so hopefully in the next couple days they’ll get here and I can get the boots done, too!