Once again, my mom came to me this week with a request for a card. And I was only too happy to oblige. With my brain very much scattered into all corners of VBS, having an assignment for something to make this week was very helpful, not to mention the fact that I got to use a few embellishments that have been around for a long time and for which I really had no use of my own.
A friend of ours from church is retiring after many years of teaching and I made her a retirement card this week. I’m sure I got the embellishments from a garage sale years ago, and have been out of school myself for years before that, so yeah, these things have been sitting around a while.
I don’t remember what grade she taught, but I’m pretty sure it was a younger grade, like 3rd or something?, so I went with bright primary colors and a couple cute embellishments.
The desk and frame of the chalkboard are actually made out of super thin wood, which is pretty cool.
Hopefully my mom will be happy with her order. 😉
I know this is short, but I need to go put a bunch of stuff away in my hall closet and make sure I have everything collected and ready to go for our major VBS decorating day tomorrow. Next time I write on here, VBS will be over!
Wow, I got busy working on VBS stuff and almost forgot that I hadn’t blogged yet today! I can’t believe VBS is only a week away, you guys! Yikes! We did some more decorating at church this afternoon, and let me tell ya, it looks ah-mazing! It’s going to still be a TON of work next Saturday getting everything else ready, but it’s going to be so awesome when it’s done!
Speaking of VBS, as I’ve been working on stuff and getting prepared, I’ve really been wanting to make a card with my Dreams and Dragons stamp set. It just fits the medieval theme so perfectly. 🙂
This is based on a layout I had pinned ages ago using the same stamps but different materials. I just colored the dragon with colored pencils and layered him over a couple different colors of cardstock on top of the cloud paper.
But, remember this guy, that I declared my absolute favorite adhesive?
I’ve decided I now have a love/hate relationship with it. I do still love how it works, and especially the way it works with patterned paper, since the thinner material is more easily susceptible to not laying flat with little adhesive squares. But it sure is dang hard to lay something down straight! You can totally see that the cloud paper is crooked on the base card. 😦 And with this stuff, once it’s down, it stays down! So yeah, love/hate this adhesive.
Anywho, my album is about done playing and I really should try to get to bed at a reasonable hour tonight, so toodles!
Stamps used: both stamps from Stampin’ Up set Dreams and Dragons
Well, look who’s actually back with a new card this week! And one I made this week instead of making in advance. 🙂 I finally cleaned off my craft desk yesterday afternoon, thereby making space to actually do some crafting instead of just collecting supplies. I’ll be honest, though, that I just sat there for a while staring and not really having any inspiration. I was thinking about all the supplies that I’ve collected over the years that I’ll probably never use and should eliminate from my collection, and I pulled out a little drawer that had some metal letters in it. I dumped out the letters and the first ones that kind of stuck out at me were R, A, and G. It being May, the month of graduations, I decided to find a D and make a graduation card.
I dug into my new supply file cabinet (which is SO much nicer than my old one!) and found some embellishments and stickers to add to the hat and diploma paper. It’s a pretty simple card, but as I’m looking at it now, I’m wondering if it would have looked really dumb or cool if I had put a different color cardstock under the “RAD” so it would have kind of said “RAD GRAD”. Would that have looked dumb? Or kinda cool? Or would anyone have even gotten it? It’s probably a good thing I didn’t think of that last night. I did try putting red underneath the letters and they didn’t show up as well as they do over the white, but maybe yellow would have worked? I dunno, too late now anyway.
I hope you’re having a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!
Well, I guess I should have made 4 cards that day I was making cards in advance for future blog posts. That would have saved me from having to admit that I didn’t get one done this week. But, instead of just coming on here and making excuses, I thought I’d quick show you what I did work on this week, which took up the time I would have spent making a card.
We determined this past Sunday that we needed a few more felt banners for Vacation Bible School to cover up some frames on the wall in the craft room. Nothing we had already made was large enough. I volunteered to make them, and since the room is called the Craft Courtyard, I wanted to make some banners with flowers on them.
These are big banners, like 31×36 inches, so they took up a lot of space while I was working on them. And of course, since I work at a job during the day, I could only work on these in the evening. But when you’re in the middle of a project that is going to last a few days, you tend to not want to clean it all up every night.
The left picture is what I left on my floor Wednesday night, and the right picture was Thursday’s mess. 🙂 At least I got them done last night so I have my living room floor back! They still need the tabs sewn to the top for the dowel for hanging them, and hopefully that can get done today while I’m at my folks’.
Speaking of which, I should probably get going. Happy Saturday!